By staying in accommodation in Snowdonia (Eryri) you are supporting the local economy.
In addition to the suggestions below, you can get information from the following centres:
- Beddgelert Tourist Information Centre – 01766 890615
- Betws-y-coed Tourist Information Centre – 01690 710426
- Hwb Eryri, The Outdoor Shop, Llanberis – 01286 872770 (10:00 – 14:45 on Tue, Thu, Sat & Sun)
There is also an external webpage dedicated to accommodation in Llanberis. See here.
Bed & Breakfast, Guest Houses and Hotels
These are plentiful, particularly in the nearby villages of Llanberis and Beddgelert.
Additionally, Betws y coed is 11 miles from Snowdon, and Caernarfon is only 8 miles from Snowdon (both are linked to Llanberis and Pen y Pass by the S1 Sherpa bus).
You will find the following website useful: www.wales-tourist-information.co.uk.
Youth Hostels are open to all ages, and offer good value for money to Youth Hostel Association members. You can usually purchase membership at a hostel if you are not already a member.
There are 4 youth hostels located around Snowdon, which access all 6 main paths:
- Llanberis, LL55 4SR (convenient for the Llanberis Path)
- Pen y Pass, LL55 4NY (convenient for the Pyg Track and Miners’ Track)
- Nant Gwynant, LL55 4NP (convenient for the Watkin Path)
- Snowdon Ranger, LL54 7YS (convenient for the Rhyd Ddu Path and Snowdon Ranger Path)
You can get more information on these hostels at: www.yha.org.uk.
Parking for Pen y Pass hostel
The hostel does not have its own car park, but parking is available in the SNPA car park across the road. During the season (Easter to early November) this car park costs from £18 a day and is only available if pre-booked (at justpark.com). Out of season, parking costs a flat rate of £10 a day, with no pre-booking necessary. (See more about ‘Parking at Pen y Pass’.)
That said, contact them (0345 371 9534 / firstname.lastname@example.org) and see if there is any on-site parking. There is a ‘parking area’ to the left of the building, often unavailable as it’s reserved for deliveries; however, if they’re not expecting anything for a few days they might let you park there.
Alternative pay & display parking is available 3.5 miles away down the pass at Nant Peris. The cost is £5 (payable by cash only), and your ticket will be valid for 24 hours. To save you having to go down daily, tickets can be purchased for multiple days (the Park’s Parking Manager says that, for instance, if you are staying for three days, you can buy 3 tickets on your first day, and display them all on your windscreen; this will cover you.
You can get to the hostel via the Sherpa bus until late evening or by pre-booked local taxis.
The YHA hostel at Pen y Pass
There are a number of campsites within a few miles of Snowdon, with some of them right at the foot of the mountain. Facilities range considerably.
A lot of campsites are shown on Google maps. You can also get information at: www.campsites.co.uk, www.ukcampsite.co.uk and www.pitchup.com.
Some further suggestions:
- Cwellyn Arms campsite at Rhyd Ddu is less than ½ mile from the Rhyd Ddu Path.
- Snowdonia Parc campsite at Waunfawr is 3½ miles from the Snowdon Ranger Path.
- Llyn Gwynant campsite is 4 miles from Pen y Pass (for the Pyg Track & Miners’ Track) and 2 miles from Pont Bethania (for the Watkin Path).
- Beddgelert Forest campsite is 2½ miles from the Rhyd Ddu Path and 4 miles from the Watkin Path.
- Llanberis campsite is a mile from the Llanberis Path.
- Garth campsite at Capel Curig is 4 miles from Pen y Pass (for the Pyg Track & Miners’ Track).
- Dolgam campsite at Capel Curig is 7 miles from Pen y Pass.
Please note that wild camping is not permitted on Snowdon without permission from the landowner.